Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Becoming a Facebook Chameleon

The thought has been growing: what if I were to adopt a new life, pick parts that suit me and present a new face to the world. In the era of social media, there's never been a better opportunity to experiment with personality.

Simply start with Facebook and create a page that has a legitimate email address. But from then, I could create a new profile. Suddenly, I have an interest in fine wines and tractor pulls (probably not a convincing combination). I rarely miss romantic comedies and stock car racing, none of which are true currently. I would enter the information falsely, but consistently about what movies I like books I have read and favorite television shows. None of which would match my current profile.

Then, I would begin inviting friends, making sure that only people I have never met will populate my list. Of course, there would be many rejections. But some would hit the "Accept request" button without thinking. Others might be simply intrigued by being solicited by someone who shares so many interests with them.

It would take some effort to convincingly engage in dialog, creating new family members, school history and job experience. But for the most part, most friends would not dig deep if approached in an engaging, seemingly sincere manner. There might be some evasiveness needed if anyone of them want to meet me. Oh, I have this terrible agoraphobia and not only cannot I not leave me house, I got into screaming panics if visitors try to enter.

There has always been this thought that, if I am not me, who would I be? What would I be like had I taken this course, not talked to that person, and missed a particular telephone call? Here is the chance to take that other direction, or perhaps as many directions as I have legitimate email addresses.

I suppose this is not much different than the experience of an actor who is deeply involved in a role or a law enforcement agent who has spent too long assuming a different personality to go underground during an investigation. Or perhaps it's like the impersonator whose story was the basis for the movie "Catch Me If You Can?"

How quickly would I become the other person? Would I indeed become another person or something that's a mix of what I am now with a new reality? Would this be better or worse? Would I be me? Would I know?

No comments: